Disconnect and drain the garden hose connections.
- Close outside vents, crawl spaces and doors so cold air doesn’t seep inside.
- Repair broken windows, etc.
- Wrap water lines, backflow device and meters in insulation.
- Wrap pipes subject to cold or freezing, especially pipes that may be above ground and exposed to freezing temperatures.
- Locate The Shut-off Valves
- Make sure the valves at your PID connection or backflow are working.
- Place a tag on the main shut-off valve. Make sure everyone in the house knows where it is and how to operate it in an emergency.
- If you’re going away, keep a minimum amount of heat on in the house. This will help protect the pipes in case the temperature drops.